Thursday, July 22, 2010

Running with Brenden

Brenden went running with me last night for a 3 miler. When we started out he was trying to figure it out was playing around more than anything. I was telling him how to find his pace and be able to breathe and run at the same time and also working on his form because he was more stompy running than rolling off his foot. So when we were about 1/2 mile into the run, he'd been walking then running to catch up to me at this point, I told him to try to run to the stop sign at the end of the street. Now this is a long block which is a little less than 1/4 mile long. I saw him lifting his head up to the sky at one point like he was getting tired and I told him he could walk again if he needed to but he didn't. He made it to the end and from then on it was like it all made sense. No more stompy running and no more walking either. As a matter of fact, I walked some last night (supper was still just a sittin in my stomach making my stomach upset a little) and he kept running. He actually beat me home by 2-3 minutes. He has a longer stride than me too. And he never had a problem with his asthma last night either. He ran with his inhaler in his pocket. There are several small hills in our development and one monster one. Now I can run the small ones but I haven't even attempted the monster one, I still walk it. Not Brenden. He ran that big hill with ease. He was waiting on the other side for me just sitting on the curb. Last year when he ran with me when I first started out he thought running meant always sprinting and he couldn't run for long because he'd tire out. Now he's got it. It just clicked and I'm very proud of him. He'll probably do a race with me next year. Tonight I'll do just one mile and I told Cassidy and Spencer they can go with me for that one. Cassidy has been wanting to run with me so bad and Spencer just can't keep up on the 3 miler. Oh and Brenden was so sweet, I told him good job after I got home and he said hey good job to you too with a sincere look on his face like he was proud of his mom.

No comments: