Thursday, July 16, 2009

Finding my groove with running



I'm still working on being able to run continuosly without having to stop and walk. I'm getting better with each week. But it's all a learning process in the beginning as with anything else. I did finally find my groove yesterday though realizing that running doesn't hurt my shins like jogging does. I hurt my knee a week and a half ago and was having shin splints when I jogged so I took last week off from jogging and was just walking and on Tuesday I got back into the routine and tried jogging again and after my warm up when I'd start jogging my shins would immediately start hurting again. So last night on my jog I decided to try something new and picked my legs up higher and added more speed and ran and it didn't hurt me a bit. So thats my new groove. Being so new to this all I really don't know if jogging and running are considered the same just one is a faster speed, I don't know. But I do know that the faster speed works better for me and I'm going to keep that up. I need to watch how high I'm picking up my legs though because Richard told me I look like I'm about to kick myself in my butt so I need to drop the leg height a bit. My face is really red after running and he said I look like I'm about to have a stroke but I feel fine. I was running a block and then walking a block for about 1 mile. The 2 before that I was jogging and walking. Now I have to get my breathing down while running because 1 block was all I could do running because I was out of breath. But I've stuck with it since May and I really love being outdoors for exercise and I'm already figuring out how to adjust my routine when school starts and when the time changes and I can't run at 8pm anymore. And the dog certainly can't go with me at 8pm when it's dark. He's too old for running now.

No comments: