Friday, May 1, 2009

2 hospitals and a birthday



So today is Spencer's 6th birthday and I wanted to start this post by wishing Spencer a very happy birthday. His party will be tomorrow at Burger King and today I'm taking cupcakes to school for him.


Now, regarding the 2 hospitals. Mom had her lap band surgery on Wednesday and came home yesterday. I spent most of the day from 5am to mid afternoon at Mt Carmel West in Columbus with her on Wednesday and 9:30 to 1:45 on Thursday when I brought her home. She's doing ok but is very nauseaous. As for hospital #2, that's a bit more of a traumatic story. As Cassidy and I were leaving mom's building yesterday, Cassidy tripped and fell as we were getting ready to get on the elevator. She hit her head on the window sill right beside the elevator splitting it wide open. She screamed and screamed and was bleeding profusely all over the place covering both her shirt and mine in blood and she kept putting her hand on her head so her hands were covered too which scared her even more (and me too). I scooped her up and ran down the hallway to mom's to clean her up and that's when I saw it was a very deep gash and I covered it with a band aid that didn't stop the bleeding but at least it kept it covered and I rushed her to the ER. It was 3 pm and I had to pick up the boys quickly from school so I called the school and said have them ready and waiting at the curb. So I pulled up and they jumped in and as soon as they saw her they both started crying. Spencer sits in the back with her and was trying to calm her and was saying it's ok honey. Brenden was helpful at the ER by getting her some M&M's and water and the boys are just so lovey with her. Brenden called all of his friends to tell them about his sister's incident. He was so worried about her. Anyway, sorry for rambling, the dr cleaned Cassidy all up and as soon as he'd blot the blood away it would just well right up again. In lieu of stitches he said for kids her age they like to glue the wound shut, so that's what he did. He pulled the skin together and before he could even get the glue across it started bleeding again (that's how bad it was) so she has a blood line across her head under the glue. The glue will fall off in 7-10 day. I'm hoping for no scar but it is on a place on her head that I can cover with her hair. I'm feeling guilty today and wondering if I could have stopped it but falls happen and I never saw it coming. It's not like she was running or anything, she just tripped. Nevertheless, thinking about it makes me cry. Here's a picture of Cassidy with her massive head wound. It doesn't look massive in the picture, but trust me it was before it got fixed.

2 comments:

Kent said...

She looks like she forcing that smile. But no worse for the fall.

~Lori said...

poor cassidy!! i'm glad she's ok. how scary!