Sunday, May 16, 2010

What an amazing race

Yesterday I ran the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. I finished it in 46:21. The time also includes about a 2 minute potty break at 1.5 miles. So I did beat my time from my first race just 3 weeks ago by 1 minute. Megan saw the time and asked what my time was at the last race and she saw we were cutting it close so we just started sprinting. After I crossed the finish line I had to sit on the curb quickly, I thought I was going to throw up. I pushed myself very hard in this race. The hills were no fun at all. I did have to walk some and I'm okay with that. There were other runners that were taking walk breaks too so I felt much better about myself seeing that. There were 50, 286 people at the race. It was amazing.

I was on Heather Pick and Stefanie Spielman's team. They are both prominent women from Columbus who have passed away in the last 1 1/2 years. Both were young, I believe Heather was 37 and Stefanie was 42. Both leaving young children behind and husbands. Heather started the pink wig tradition and it is carried on. There were several times I cried before the race began. They had 2 trolly's full of women currently undergoing treatments for breast cancer and when I saw this one woman crying and waving I started crying. When Maria Durant, a local newscaster who is a breast cancer survivor herself, started crying, I cried then too. The moment of silence for all who've lost their battles, cried again. It was a very emotional day. There were families running with their survivor, husbands wearing pink wigs, a woman being pushed in a wheelchair, it was just a great show of support. I wore an in celebration tag for my aunt Jane who is a breast cancer survivor and an in memory tag for my cousin Marquita who passed away just a few years ago from her battle with breast cancer. When I was writing those tags was the first time I cried that day. I was so proud to be running in honor of them. At the last mile there is something called thunder tunnel where motorcyclists line up along both sides of the street and rev up for us in support and that was so cool. So many people were out all over the place clapping and cheering everyone on. It was just the most wonderful race experience I could have asked for.

This is the picture of Heather and Stefanie's team. Me and Megan are way in the back.

These are my tags honoring my aunt and cousin.

This is Me and Megan.



1 comment:

Nat said...

Congrats! I am SO SO proud of you!! I wish I could have been there!!!